Back to stuff that matters (which means no more pissed-off rantings about Pottermania and the Saudi customs department). To dust off my extremely dilapidated Unix programming skills, I’ve started reading ‘Unix Network Programming: The Sockets Networking API’ by Richard Stevens. The book also has a nice website, although both sources were last updated circa 2004.
Quite expectedly, the UNP source code didn’t just run out-of-the-box. The initial guess of 64-bitness of my machine being responsible for the errors was positively affirmed when the code started compiling just fine when I used the
-m32 flags. Upon closer inspection, it was revealed that a file in the
libfree directory was using
size_t in place of
socklen_t. Here‘s a quick-and-dirty patch to rectify the error. Hopefully it’ll help other readers who plan to test the live examples on their 64-bit architectures.