Inspirated

 
 

August 24, 2007

HOWTO: Download FLV videos from YouTube manually

Filed under: Blog — krkhan @ 8:37 pm

I’m well aware of the fact that this thing has been posted on various blogs countless times already; but if you haven’t noticed, YouTube has changed its page structure so that only a text-search of player2.swf?video_id= in the source code won’t yield the prolonged video_id. Instead, you now have to search for /watch_fullscreen?video_id= to locate the holy grail.

For those who’re new to this method, here’s what you have to do:

  • Open the YouTube video link for which you want to download the FLV.
  • Right-click anywhere on the page and click on ‘View (Page) Source’.
  • Press CTRL+F and search for the string: /watch_fullscreen?video_id=
  • Copy everything after the question mark until the end of quotes, as shown in the image below:

    YouTube video_id
    (Click to enlarge)

  • Type this in your address bar: http://www.youtube.com/get_video?[video_id you've just copied]
  • Hit Enter/Return, you’ll be offered a downloaded named get_video which is actually your desired FLV file. Save it somewhere locally and change its extension to .flv.

Here’s a list of players that you can use to play your downloaded FLV:

Bona fide :-) !

Tags: , , ,

August 22, 2007

Melita, domi adsum

Filed under: Blog — krkhan @ 9:07 pm

Back to stuff that matters (which means no more pissed-off rantings about Pottermania and the Saudi customs department). To dust off my extremely dilapidated Unix programming skills, I’ve started reading ‘Unix Network Programming: The Sockets Networking API’ by Richard Stevens. The book also has a nice website, although both sources were last updated circa 2004.

Quite expectedly, the UNP source code didn’t just run out-of-the-box. The initial guess of 64-bitness of my machine being responsible for the errors was positively affirmed when the code started compiling just fine when I used the -m32 flags. Upon closer inspection, it was revealed that a file in the libfree directory was using size_t in place of socklen_t. Here‘s a quick-and-dirty patch to rectify the error. Hopefully it’ll help other readers who plan to test the live examples on their 64-bit architectures.

Tags: , , , ,